Monday, February 6, 2017

But God, It's Not Fair! - Ps 73 Meditation


A Meditation.

How often do we allow our mind to stay fixed on thoughts of “It’s not fair!” and “Why, God?”   As we allow these thoughts to grow in our minds, they take on a life of their own, spinning us in a downward spiral.

What if instead we brought all these questions into the quiet place with the Lord and allowed His Word to bring truth to light up our understanding?  How would we perceive our circumstances differently?
 
Using Psalm  73

This Psalm begins with Asaph’s major Rant about how the wicked prosper and how he has kept himself in God’s ways for nothing, apparently … because all it seems to bring is suffering, while the wicked have it easy. 
 
Psalm 73 (by Asaph)
[Oh, Lord.  Don’t you see this?  These wicked and arrogant people…]
8 They mock and wickedly speak of oppression….
And [yet they are] always at ease, and have increased in wealth....

13 Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure
And washed my hands in innocence;
14 For I have been stricken all day long
And chastened every morning.
  
The Psalm continues:

16 When I pondered to understand this,
It was troublesome in my sight
17 Until I came into the sanctuary of God;
Then I perceived their end.

Essentially Asaph says, when I thought about all these thoughts – how things aren’t going the way they should  - and pondered and meditated on all of this unfairness and strife, all I got was trouble and fear.  However, when I finally came into the sanctuary of God (where I can see things from God’s perspective), then I was able to perceive correctly.

How often do we allow our mind to stay fixed on thoughts of “It’s not fair!” and “Why, God?”   As we allow these thoughts to grow in our minds, they take on a life of their own, spinning us in a downward spiral.

What if instead we brought all these questions into the quiet place with the Lord and allowed His Word to bring truth to light up our understanding?  How would we perceive our circumstances differently?

When Asaph sees these circumstances in the light of God’s truth (in the sanctuary), he is then finally able to see that the end of the wicked is NOT good at all. He elaborates on this – a little giddy at finally seeing their true end.  This shifts his perspective so that the Psalm that began as a rant ends with some of the more beautiful statements of God's goodness to us.  Keep reading!

At this point Asaph continues by stating that even though he experienced heartache and a lack of wisdom, he now can see that there is a very real answer to the problem: Pressing into the reality of God’s nearness, and receiving God’s counsel.

21 -When my heart was embittered
And I was pierced within,
22 Then I was senseless and ignorant;
I was like a beast before You.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with You;
You have taken hold of my right hand
.

The Bible is clear.  God is ALWAYS with us.  Jesus says, “I will NEVER leave you.”  We can ask and expect that Jesus is right here in the midst of all this stuff, taking our hand even!
24 With Your counsel You will guide me,
A
nd afterward receive me to glory.

(NLT version: You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.)

God gives the best counsel.  He leads us from glory to glory and strength to strength. (2 Cor 3:18)*

The Psalm, continues
25 Whom have I in heaven but You?
And besides You, I desire nothing on earth.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

When I feel my heart is weakened by the cares of this life, I can rest in this assurance: It is GOD who is the strength of my heart.  I don’t have to be strong in my own strength.  He is my strength.
……28 But as for me, the nearness of God is my good;
I have made the Lord God my refuge,

That I may tell of all Your works.

God’s nearness is my good.  He is so near!  There is no need to fear!
ASK for this!  Remember, we have not because we ask not.

A Model Prayer:

Lord, thank you so much for your nearness to me.  Remind me to look to YOU first rather than allowing the cares and concerns and negative thoughts to run circles in my mind. 

I ASK YOU to provide me with wisdom, discernment, faith, trust, and tenacity to KEEP ON thinking on that which is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and excellent! (Php 4:8).  Please give me eyes that are open to see TRUTH all day long. 

Please give me eyes that are open to see YOU beside me all day long.  I know that there must be so many times that You want to take my hand, but I don’t even notice.  I know that YOU are always NEAR – oh so near to me - but most of the time I remain unaware of your presence.  I don’t want to live that way any longer.  Your nearness is my GOOD!  So, I choose to ASK over and over again for You to turn on my awareness of the reality of your nearness.  I want to see You, hear You, smell You, and feel You!  

Just as Jesus only did what he saw the Father doing, so I want to SEE what You are doing, Father, and walk in the footsteps of Jesus every day.  I can only do that with a heart that is awake, spiritual eyes that are open, and spiritual ears that are listening.  Do this in me even today, Lord, I pray!  Amen!
--

2 Cor 3:18 
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. 


Pamela K. Amlung

No comments:

Post a Comment