Thursday, August 27, 2015

Flowers, Letters, and Open Hearts

Today a no-show at a prayer appointment left me with a little bit of free time to hit Trader Joe’s, one of my favorite places to shop.  Arriving to the usual sea of cars, I still found a good parking spot and headed on in to shop.  But today was a little different: I had prayed, “Lord, use this time however you want to.”  So, when I saw the adorable young mom with pigtails, a frontpack baby carrier complete with sleeping baby, and a full cart of groceries, I noticed how she seemed just a tad worried as she waited.  I wondered, what could I say if I just walked up to her.  Nothing came to mind.  

Then, as I walked into the store I spotted the flowers and heard a nudging voice. “Why don’t you buy her flowers?” 

The wide assortment of fresh flowers drew my eyes, but I quickly began to think of reasons not to buy them.  But I stopped.  This time was different as I realized, “I know I will be sorry if I don’t obey.”  So, I quickly picked a colorful bouquet and brought them to the check out, keeping an eye out the window.  She was still there.  

I made a bee line for her just as someone pulled up to the curb, probably her husband.  There I stood with a bunch of flowers and a smile.  When she turned toward me, I said, “These are for you!”  I quickly added, “When I noticed you standing here, God prompted me to buy you some flowers.  So I did.” 

I felt a little awkward, but the adorable young mom just beamed.  “Thank you!  I love flowers!”  

I smiled and replied, “You’re welcome.  God bless you.  Have a good day.”  And with a little wave to her staring husband, I went back in the store.

End of story?  Did I simply brighten one person’s day?  No, I prayed for that young mom over and over as I placed items in my cart and as I drove home.  I prayed that this would be one significant touch in her life that would bring her closer to God.  I prayed that each time she looked at those flowers, she would think not of me but of God who prompted me.  I prayed that she would be one who now understood that “God sees me” and “He knows where I live” and “He cares.”

The rest of the story is hers to write with Jesus.

But my story continues, because there was something significant that broke when I did that simple act of obedience. Suddenly I could see the tender opening that had been created by a simple gift, by someone feeling like God noticed them.  I saw how vitally important it could be!  Then the Lord reminded me of an idea I’d forgotten.  In the movie The Letter Writer, (watch on Amazon) an elderly man has a gift of writing letters that bring love, hope, and revelation to people he doesn’t know.  After watching that movie some years ago, I thought that perhaps “letter writing” could be an actual prophetic ministry inspired by Holy Spirit.  Back then, I wasn’t ready for that.  But as I drove home from the store it occurred to me that perhaps now IS the time for me to pursue it.  I even purchased special stationary for the purpose of writing these letters!

Lord, help me as I walk it out.  I know there will be a lot of resistance, mostly inside my own mind. Help me to follow exactly as you guide me.

And bless that young mother today as she cares for her baby, reminding her of your love every time she sees those flowers.  Bring as many touches as she needs to fall in love with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment