Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Treasure!

Growing up, my brother and I hunted treasure wherever our little legs took us.  Our favorite place to treasure hunt?  The beach!  When we'd find an area with a vast array of shells, we'd exclaim, "A gold mine!"  But living in Indiana, we rarely had a chance to sink our toes into sand, and so we found treasure in empty lots, stream beds, tree tops, and back alleys.  Fools gold and mica filled our pockets, along with acorns and maple tree helicopters. Fancy wine bottles, driftwood, geodes, and collectible beer cans lined our basement shelves, while upstairs I proudly displayed my shells and shiny stones.

Today, all of that "treasure" is long gone.  But I am still a treasure hunter.  My favorite place to hunt?  God's Word!  Yes, it is true!  After 40+ years of reading scripture, I am completely amazed at how often I find "a gold mine" of wisdom.  From these gold mines I extract gleaming nuggets that I carry with me, in my spirit rather than my pocket.  And these treasures - like the road less traveled - have really made all the difference!  Peace beyond my comprehension.  Joy unspeakable and full of glory.  Love that fills and overflows.  And so much more!

My shelves are now filled with journals of nuggets from gold mines from over the years, back to back with others' published works filled with the nuggets from gold mines they have discovered.

Realizing that it is never a good idea to horde treasure, and realizing more and more the infinite value of this treasure, I am starting this blog in hopes that at least a few others may partake of these nuggets, which are just a small part of the "glorious riches" which are our rightful inheritance.  Eph. 3:18.   Come with me as we keep on seeking, asking, and knocking.  For those who seek will find!  Matthew 7:7-8

"How precious to me are your thoughts, O Lord!  How vast is the sum of them!"  Ps. 139:17.

Proverbs 2

My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
2turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding—
3indeed, if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
4and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God.
6For the Lord gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.






No comments:

Post a Comment